Exam time is a real temperament test. College students find themselves in a fix when it comes to prepping for exams in terms of time to be allotted, routine to be followed, effectiveness of study methods, etc. At The Education Post, you can find answers to your exam prep woes by simply browsing through ours blogs or reaching out to us. To give you a head start, here are the best exam prep tips for college students:
- Short and accurate notes – Make your prep notes short and understandable. Note only the key terms that will become your cues while prepping and keep it short and accurate. This way you will find it faster to complete your studying especially during revisions.
- Shift your study spots – Students tend to hole up in their dorm rooms and don’t step out during exam time out of guilt. More often than not, they end up wasting time instead of studying. Therefore, keep refreshing your study area by moving to different places so you are energized constantly.
- Avoid sleeplessness – Do not get into a sleepless night pattern. In fact during exam time, make sure you get enough rest and sleep to give your mind the energy it needs to prep well and perform better. A lot of students tend to slip into the sleepless pattern, but you must not get influenced by it.
- Flash Cards – The power of flashcards is only realized when you put them in action. They work even better than notes because you can carry them around, display them and make as many as you like with very little effort. Plus, they help you memorize things faster than anything else!
- No last minute cramming – Even though this is the most popular prep trend, we strongly advise against it. Things are bound to slip and there is a very high risk of having topics or subject matters left out in the process. You do not want to take this risk. You want to be able to prep with enough time on hand to cover each and every topic.
- Switch subjects – Some students prefer to finish one large topic or subject in one go and it is completely your choice, but we recommend switching between topics during your preparation. Take breaks and switch subjects to refresh your brain and learn each topic faster. Monotony can hinder your ability to cover subjects effectively.
- Diagrams – Graphics work wonders! Wherever you find a lengthy process flow or a group of connected items, you can represent them all in a pictorial form to save yourself time. It is also an effective method while memorizing subject matter as our minds tend to remember pictures more vividly.
- Avoid junk food – Resist the urge to indulge in junk food during exam time. You may not feel it, but such food items have an adverse effect on your mind and body and you cannot afford to put yourself through that during your exams.
- Examination checklist – Maintain a checklist of all the things you will need for your exam prep and examination day right from your topics and notes to stationery and external aid. The sooner you start putting things in this list, the better your overall preparation will be.
- Rest the night before – Contrary to popular belief, the night before your exam, get proper rest. If you have followed all of the steps above, then on the eve of your exam, you will be complete with your prep. Therefore, you must take time to rejuvenate, give your examination checklist one last glance and refresh your mind.
Diligence is the key to a strong and effective exam prep. Get all your activities and items organized during exam time and know that every little thing you do in that period goes a long way.
Anupama Kumar is a content writer based in Bangalore, India. She writes blogs, stories, articles and social media content and has a passion for helping people and connecting with them through her writing. A professional writer by day and a creative one by night, her own stories, musings, quotes, and poems inspired by her travels are also published on various platforms.
Read More Articles at The Education Post.